Lately I heard of a job seeker being rejected for a job as a result of the recruiter thought one of many employers he’d listed didn’t actually exist. The work expertise was actual, however right here’s the rub: even actual job expertise can look pretend on a resume.
Listed here are three examples of how that may occur.
No internet presence for an employer.
The job seeker talked about above had finished some monetary work associated to her mother and father’ actual property holdings. The household used a enterprise identify in these actions, however it wasn’t an official firm and had no web site. Though the work was actual, the recruiter determined it wasn’t and employed another person.
What might she do otherwise sooner or later?
- Create an internet site for the enterprise. It’s not that tough to do when you maintain it easy, and it doesn’t must value something.
- On the resume, embody extra specifics concerning the work that was finished and some other companies that had been concerned, so long as this doesn’t breach confidentiality. A fuller image tends to be extra plausible.
- Be ready to offer much more specifics within the interview, together with examples of challenges confronted, obstacles overcome and outcomes achieved.
The corporate identify is misspelled.
“If this job seeker actually labored there,” the recruiter might imagine, “certainly they’d know how you can spell the corporate’s identify!”
It’s not sufficient that you know the work expertise in your resume is actual. You need to make certain it seems to be actual, too.
Freelance or consulting work is described vaguely.
Too many individuals cowl resume gaps with phony claims of self-employment, so recruiters have turn out to be suspicious. For those who legitimately are, or had been, self-employed, by all means embody your freelance expertise in your resume, however you’ll have to again it up with particular particulars concerning the nature of the work, together with accomplishments if in any respect attainable. Present extra proof:
- For those who can probably embody a shopper record, achieve this.
- Arrange an internet site and/or an online portfolio of labor samples.
- Be ready to supply references, and point out them in your cowl letter (however not in your resume).
- Embrace the self-employment in your LinkedIn profile, ideally with media resembling pictures depicting your self working and/or examples of your work product.
- Encourage your purchasers or clients to evaluation you on social media.
The resume and the LinkedIn profile don’t agree.
Be certain your resume, LinkedIn profile and some other supplies are all in step with one another, particularly concerning your job titles, dates of employment and firm names. Be careful for even essentially the most harmless inconsistencies. For instance, some corporations, particularly smaller ones, get a bit of free about titles, so you’ll have used two totally different variations of your title. Decide one and use it persistently–and ensure your references know which title you’re utilizing.
Actual job expertise can look pretend in your resume. It’s not sufficient that it is actual, it has to look actual!