We might earn revenue from hyperlinks on this publish. Please learn this Disclosure for particulars.
This hearty meatball soup — sopa de albóndigas — is in style as a noon meal in Guatemala, Mexico, El Salvador and with everybody who tastes it!
Made with lean floor beef and recent greens in a beefy broth, this satisfying one-pot meal is an easy-to-make, economical consolation meals that’s each wholesome and scrumptious!
This genuine receta de albóndigas soup makes the last word consolation meals. It’s a soothing and satisfying home-made soup with easy substances. For my Guatemala-born husband it’s a dish that reminds him of his childhood.
But, it’s a very simple dish to make and one which’s welcome after an extended or disturbing day.
Though a steaming bowl of soup is most frequently thought-about a winter consolation meals, this sopa de albóndigas recipe options recent mint and a light-weight broth which suggests it additionally works properly as a summer time meal.
In the event you love this soup and need to discover extra Guatemalan favourites, you’ve acquired to do that Sopa de Frijol or Pepián de Pollo.
Why This Recipe Works
- Appropriate for a low-carb weight loss plan, Whole30 or Keto weight loss plan. It’s additionally potential to make a gluten-free variation of this recipe with one straightforward swap.
- Meatball soup is a useful one-pot meal that’s each wholesome and fast to make.
- Hearty and satisfying however not too heavy so it’s good to serve 12 months spherical.
What’s Albóndigas Soup?
Can a soup have a historical past? Sure, if it’s sopa de albóndigas! Albondigas originate from Spain the place the small tender meatballs are historically served at tapas bars as a satisfying snack to tide you over till dinner.
In North America, the tiny Spanish-inspired meatballs have advanced from being bite-sized tapas and are utilized in numerous recipes for sopa de albóndigas. Considerably much like Italian Wedding ceremony Soup, meatball soup is in style as an on a regular basis household meal all through Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador.
In the event you’re travelling via Latin America, you possibly can take pleasure in sopa de albóndigas in household properties, loncherias and comedors (informal, family-owned eating places) all through Guatemala Metropolis, Antigua and Panajachel on the shores of Lake Atitlan.
A steaming bowl of sopa de albóndigas Guatemalteca can also be a quick and satisfying lunch for those who’re attending one of many many festivals and celebrations in Guatemala. This wholesome meatball soup recipe is impressed by the Guatemalan model I’ve loved through the years.
This wholesome keto meatball soup is made with a wide range of tasty but healthful substances. Right here’s what you will want:
- Greens: This meatball vegetable soup is made with recent tomato, onion, and carrot.
- Huisquil: This vegetable is also called chayote. It’s in regards to the measurement of a pear, has a pebbled look much like a gourd, and is gentle inexperienced in shade. It has a light taste and a texture described as a cross between a potato and cucumber. The fruit is wealthy in Vitamin C and amino acids. Search for it in Asian, Caribbean, and Latin American markets and a few giant supermarkets.
- Floor Beef: Use lean floor beef for greatest outcomes.
- Mint and cilantro: Cooked within the soup and added as a garnish. It’s what units this meatball vegetable soup recipe aside from others.
- Egg: Essential binder to assist maintain the meatballs collectively.
- Breadcrumbs: You need these gentle not dry so don’t use prepackaged, dry breadcrumbs as they aren’t absorbent sufficient. For greatest outcomes, toast common or gluten-free leftover bread within the oven or toaster after which run them via your meals processor till finely floor.
- Beef Broth: Make your individual beef broth at residence or use the leftover broth from conventional Guatemalan dishes resembling Salpicon de Res (beef salad). In the event you determine to make use of store-bought use a very good high quality model. I usually use the low-sodium model of Campbell’s Prepared-to-Use Beef Broth because it doesn’t have MSG, is low in fats and solely has 10 energy per 150 ml serving.
The way to Make Guatemalan Meatball Soup
Let’s began making this superb meatball soup keto!! Right here’s an outline however you should definitely test the detailed directions within the recipe card earlier than cooking.
- Start by frying the finely diced onion and tomato in vegetable oil till softened (however not browned). Permit it to chill to room temperature.
- Mix the cooled cooked onion and tomato combination with the well-beaten egg, chopped mint and cilantro, floor beef, salt, pepper and toasted bread crumbs. Use your fingers to essentially combine the substances collectively properly.
Place the meatball combination within the fridge to chill when you put together the greens. Peel and slice the huisquil (also called chayote) and peel and julienne the recent carrots. In the event you’re going to make use of cabbage, shred it very finely.
Carry the meat broth to a boil in a big Dutch Oven or soup pot.In the event you’re utilizing Campbell’s Able to Use Beef Broth then add sufficient water to make up the six cups broth.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out a portion of the meat combination, form the meat into small, spherical balls till agency and place on a dinner plate or pan. Roll them in flour (except you need low-carb) so that they don’t keep on with the plate. It’s utterly essential however could be useful.
- Cut back the temperature of the boiling broth, skimming off any scum, and drop the meatballs separately into the simmering broth. When the meatballs have floated to the highest (round 5-7 minutes) meaning they’re executed.
Add the sliced huisquil and julienned carrots, cowl and simmer gently till the greens are tender, one other 7-10 minutes.
- Serve sizzling and sprinkle with reserved finely-chopped cilantro and mint.
What to Eat with Albóndigas Soup
In Guatemala, sopa de albóndigas is all the time served with plain white rice on the aspect. There are all the time an abundance of recent lime wedges, slices of avocado, tortillas and chirmol, a Guatemalan charred tomato salsa or crushed cobanero peppers for an additional hit of spicy warmth.
- Simmer the broth very gently at a low temperature so the meatballs don’t disintegrate whereas they’re cooking.
- Skim the fats from the highest of the soup. In the event you use the next fats floor meat you will want to chill the soup a bit earlier than skimming.
- Don’t skip the recent herbs when serving. It provides a pleasant punch of flavour to the soup.
There’s fairly a distinction in fats content material between additional lean, lean, medium and common floor beef. Additional lean floor beef has a most fats content material of 10%, lean has a most of 17 per cent fats, medium has a most of 23 per cent fats and common floor beef is allowed as much as 30 per cent fats.
For albondigas which are cooked in soup, the perfect beef to make use of is lean beef. Whereas it could be tempting to chop down on fats and go for extra-lean, in my expertise that can end in much less tender meatballs. The additional little bit of fats in lean floor beef helps make the meatballs melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious.
Utilizing meat with the next fats content material than lean and also you run the chance of the meatballs falling aside as they cook dinner.
There are lots of variations of sopa de albóndigas all through Latin America. In Mexico, the meatballs comprise rice whereas in Guatemala (not less than in our household), the meatballs don’t and as a substitute rice is often served on the aspect. I personally desire this rice-less model as a result of it’s simpler to style the freshness of the mint and cilantro.
One other distinction is that the Mexican variation is a tomato-based soup whereas in Guatemala, it’s beef broth. Different variations function cabbage and pasta within the broth. So, it’s a flexible recipe you possibly can customise to make your individual.
Attempt to type the meatballs shortly. In the event you deal with them too lengthy, the warmth out of your fingers can soften the meat and it turns into mushy. If that occurs, place the bowl of meatball combination within the fridge for half-hour. As soon as it’s cooled, the meatballs will maintain their form and be firmer when fashioned.
This recipe was initially revealed in 2019 however was up to date with further directions and images in 2023.
Extra Guatemalan Recipes
Love this recipe? Please depart a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟score within the recipe card beneath & a remark additional down for those who REALLY prefer it. Thanks!
Sopa de Albondigas (Wholesome Meatball Soup)
This scrumptious sopa de albondigas (meatball soup) is a conventional Guatemalan dish that is straightforward to make and low in carbs. Serve it with rice, avocado and do-it-yourself corn tortillas for a meal the entire household will love.
Stop your display from going darkish
Warmth vegetable oil in a skillet over medium excessive warmth. Fry the tomato and onion till softened, however not browned. Permit to chill to room temperature.
Combine the softened greens with the bottom beef, mint, cilantro, egg, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Permit it to chill within the fridge when you slice the greens.
Kind meat combination into small, agency meatballs.
In the meantime, deliver beef broth to boil in a big Dutch Oven or soup pot and scale back warmth to a simmer.
Drop meatballs gently, separately, into the simmering broth.
When the meatballs have floated to the highest, add the sliced huisquil and julienned carrots, and simmer till the greens are tender.
Sprinkle with reserved cilantro and mint.
Skim the fats from the highest of the soup. In the event you use the next fats floor meat you will want to chill the soup a bit earlier than skimming.
Don’t skip the recent herbs when serving. It provides a pleasant punch of flavour to the soup.
Please Word: Dietary data is created by on-line calculators and isn’t assured to be correct because the figures are solely estimates.
Energy: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 35g | Fats: 11g | Saturated Fats: 6g | Ldl cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 1165mg | Potassium: 1391mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5701IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 4mg
Save to Pinterest!
Dividing her time between Canada, Guatemala and Mexico (or the closest tropical seaside), Michele Peterson is the founding father of A Style for Journey. Her award-winning journey and meals writing has appeared in Lonely Planet’s cookbook Mexico: From the Supply, Nationwide Geographic Traveler, Fodor’s and 100+ different publications.
View extra posts by Michele Peterson Learn extra