The US Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC) simply introduced, efficient January 5, 2023 at 12:01 AM EST, airline passengers (two years of age and older) touring from mainland China (Peoples Republic of China (PRC)) and the Particular Administrative Areas of Hong Kong or Macau should present both a damaging COVID check or documentation of COVID restoration so as to journey to the USA.
- The requirement applies to air passengers no matter nationality, together with U.S. Residents and Lawful Everlasting Residents, and vaccination standing.
- This will even apply to individuals touring from the PRC through third nation transit and to passengers connecting via the USA onward to additional locations.
- This requirement additionally applies to people boarding a flight to the USA from Incheon Worldwide Airport (South Korea), Vancouver Worldwide Airport (Canada), or Toronto Pearson Worldwide Airport (Canada) who’ve been within the PRC, Hong Kong, or Macau throughout the final 10 days and not more than two days earlier than their departure to the USA.
- Passengers who examined optimistic greater than 10 days earlier than the flight can present documentation of restoration from COVID-19 in lieu of a damaging check consequence.
- Airways should affirm the damaging COVID-19 check consequence or documentation of restoration for all passengers earlier than they board or deny boarding to the passenger.
The CDC announcement doesn’t specify whether or not these touring from Hong Kong or Macau through third-country transit (apart from South Korea or Canada) are additionally topic to the testing requirement. However, vacationers from Hong Kong and Macau ought to put together to adjust to the above testing necessities. The CDC notes that it’ll proceed to observe journey patterns and modify the scope of the necessities as wanted.
This new testing requirement doesn’t change the continued requirement of proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for all nonimmigrant passengers arriving in the USA by air or through land ports of entry on the U.S.-Mexico and U.S.-Canada borders. The proof of vaccination requirement doesn’t apply to U.S. residents, U.S. nationals, lawful everlasting residents, or these touring to the USA with an immigrant visa.
Squire Patton Boggs will proceed to observe and supply updates on these fast-moving developments.