Let’s say you’re doing an informational interview. Must you go away behind a resume? Nope – go away a networking bio as an alternative.
- Providing a resume might make your networking accomplice really feel pressured, as if although you’re imposing on them to seek out you a job. Concentrate on growing relationships and sharing info; you’re not making use of for a job proper now. (Learn my article, “Networking: Organizations vs. Openings.”)
- You may’t goal your resume for a job opening that doesn’t but exist. Offering a bio leaves the door open so that you can submit a rigorously custom-made resume later, when one thing opens up.
- Not like a resume, a bio can appropriately embrace a photograph, which will help your contact keep in mind you.
What’s in a Networking Bio?
There are not any hard-and-fast guidelines about what info to incorporate in a bio. What details about you’ll assist solidify your model within the minds of the folks you meet? What sort of description would encourage them to maintain you in thoughts as a useful resource?
A bio is usually a bit much less formal than a resume. For instance, you’ll be able to write it in first individual (referring to your self as “I” slightly than by title), or if you happen to write it in third individual (“Maria Miller is …”) you’ll be able to insert quotes from your self.
Restrict your bio to at least one web page or much less. Be concise.
You may embrace a lot of the identical info that’s in your resume, however ensure that the bio is participating and conveys a way of who you might be as an individual. Ask your self questions like the next, and use your solutions to focus and enliven the bio.
- What’s my distinctive promoting proposition or model? What info about me give proof of that?
- What’s attention-grabbing or spectacular about my profession path?
- What story would illustrate my abilities and expertise?
- What am I captivated with, professionally?
- What do I really like about my area? about my present employer? about my workforce?
When to Use a Networking Bio
Not each networking state of affairs is the appropriate time to supply a bio. It could be awkward to supply one at a really casual get-together for espresso, or with somebody you recognize fairly effectively already. However, if you happen to’re having a profession analysis dialog or information interview with somebody you’ve by no means met, a bio will help your contact keep in mind you afterwards. You may present it through e mail earlier than the assembly or hand it to your contact as you’re leaving.
What about an informational interview with somebody who may doubtlessly rent you? On this case, a resume may very well be extra applicable.
Don’t rely on the bio or resume to maintain you at prime of thoughts together with your new contact. It received’t! An important a part of networking is realizing the best way to flip information interviews into relationships.
Bio or LinkedIn Connection Request?
“Why present a bio,” chances are you’ll marvel, “when the individual can simply look me up on LinkedIn?” Actually, a LinkedIn connection request is an efficient subsequent step after a networking assembly. It’s fairly potential, nevertheless, that your new contact will merely click on “Settle for” and transfer on with out taking a look at your profile. Offering a bio earlier than or throughout the assembly might get extra consideration and assist them keep in mind your background and pursuits. On the very least, it’s a further touchpoint.
An excellent networking bio reinforces an impression of you as somebody who is nice to know and keep up a correspondence with. (This publish was initially revealed in 2013 and has been up to date for the 2020s.)